- Adds colour to curries including madras and korma.
- Also used to add colour to rice and paella.
- A cheaper alternative to saffron for colouring.
- Curry houses use turmeric to make their rice yellow.
- Adds a mild spicy flavour to curries.
- Thickens sauces and curries.
- Also known as "Haldi" powder.
Turmeric or Haldi
powder is one of the basic spices used in curries. It mostly adds a vibrant yellow colour to the sauce or rice, but an earthy flavour is also discernible.
This is a medium-sized bag that will usually last a curry enthusiast for a few months. Turmeric can also be used to colour pasta, pastry and paella.