This product is temporarily out of stock.
Wholegrain Teff 1kg
- Pure teff grains.
- Gluten-free, easy-to-cook.
- Rich in calcium and other minerals.
- Makes a filling and tasty porridge.
- Contains good levels of fibre and protein.
- Packed in the UK.
- 1kg pack.
Teff is a super tiny seed, less than 1mm in diameter, that has been a staple food in Ethiopia for generations. Teff grain for the UK market is mostly grown in Europe since the Ethiopian government will not allow their Teff grain to be exported.
These red-brown seeds are easy and quick to cook in around 15-20 minutes. The porridge-like consistency is ideal for breakfast and the flavour of Teff is complimented by foods such as nuts, honey and spices such as cinnamon and mixed spice. Teff seeds can also be added whole to breads and buns.
Teff grain is naturally gluten-free making it a useful addition to diets where gluten needs to be avoided. It has good levels of Calcium, Potassium and fibre. Teff grain is usually lightly toasted in a dry, non-stick pan before cooking. It can easily be mixed with other gluten free grains to create a flavoursome alternative to cous cous or rice.
Teff porridge can be used in place of oats as a breakfast cereal, or as an alternative to rice or couscous in savoury meals. To make teff porridge:
- Use one cup of teff per person.
- Optionally, toast the grains in a hot pan for 3-4 minutes. This enhances the flavour of the teff.
- Boil in a pan of hot water (3 cups of water to 1 cup of teff) for around 10-15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down. The teff will be ready when the water is absorbed and the grain is of a soft consistency.
- Teff can be served as a breakfast porridge with honey and fruit, or as a savoury alternative to rice or couscous with curries, meats or vegetables.
Teff Grain [Eragrostis tef]
- Gluten-free. Produced in the Netherlands.
For more information on our ingredients policy please see here
|Typical Values||Per 100g|