Teff Grain Gluten Free, 1kg (Pure)
This product is temporarily out of stock.
Email me when this product is back in stock
100% Teff Grain - Gluten Free
- Whole Teff Seeds, ready-to-cook.
- High in calcium and other minerals.
- Good source of protein & fibre.
- Naturally gluten-free.
- Makes a gluten-free breakfast porridge.
- Can also be used as an alternative to cous cous.
Teff seeds [Eragrostis tef]
are amongst the smallest edible seeds in the world. They are very similar to millet except even smaller and a darker brown. Teff is part of the staple diet in places such as Ethiopia and Eritrea and the Teff plant is widely cultivated there. Teff has been eaten since ancient times and has only recently become popular in Britain.
Teff grain is naturally gluten-free making it a useful addition to diets where gluten needs to be avoided. It has good levels of Calcium, Potassium and fibre. Teff grain is usually lightly toasted in a dry, non-stick pan before cooking. It can easily be mixed with other gluten free grains to create a flavoursome alternative to cous cous or rice.
Teff porridge can be used in place of oats as a breakfast cereal, or as an alternative to rice or couscous in savoury meals. To make teff porridge:
- Use one cup of teff per person.
- Optionally, toast the grains in a hot pan for 3-4 minutes. This enhances the flavour of the teff.
- Boil in a pan of hot water (3 cups of water to 1 cup of teff) for around 10-15 minutes.
- Turn the heat down. The teff will be ready when the water is absorbed and the grain is of a soft consistency.
- Teff can be served as a breakfast porridge with honey and fruit, or as a savoury alternative to rice or couscous with curries, meats or vegetables.
|Typical Values||Per 100g|