- Based on a recipe by Phil Vickery.
- This is a relatively quick gluten-free version of the popular Italian wheat bread. It is best made on the same day you want to serve it or make the bread in advance and freeze it.
- The texture achieved should be loose and moist. The soya flour contained in the flour blend really helps to lift the flavour of the finished bread. As with all gluten free bread, it will have a slightly heavier feel to it that wheat-based breads. Nevertheless this does not stop the finished product from achieving the feel of real Focaccia.
- This recipe makes enough for 6-8 people, on the basis that they will have at least two wedges.
- 14g Quick Yeast
- 500ml warm water
- 2 tsp Coconut Sugar or runny Honey
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vitamin C
- 2 egg whites
- 10 garlic cloves cut in half
- 4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp of sea salt
- 2-3 tsp of dried Rosemary
150g soya flour.
80g tapioca flour.
150g potato flour.
1) Pre-heat the oven to 220°c/Fan 200°c/Gas Mark 7 and oil a 3.5cm deep 30cm non-stick baking tin or a flat baking tray.
2) In a jug mix the yeast, water and sugar together. Cover with cling film and leave the jug in a warm place for around 15-20 minutes or until the liquid starts to form a bubbly froth on top.
3) In a large mixing bowl blend your flour with the Xanthan Gum, Vitamin C and Baking Powder.
4) Whisk the egg whites until foamy. Pour the yeast mix into the dry ingredients and stir. Add the egg whites and then bring the mixture together into a dough. The dough will be quite sticky and not a dry as a wheat-based dough.
5) Transfer the dough into the oiled pan, or onto the baking tray. If using a flat baking tray without sides, use the back of a wet wooden spoon to shape the mix into a circle, square or oblong. Cover with cling film and lightly press down. Remove the cling film
6) Press the garlic halves in rows. Recover with fresh cling film. Leave to prove in a warm place for 15-20 minutes or until the dough has roughly doubled in height.
7) Remove the clingfilm and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle over the Salt and Rosemary. Bake for 15 minutes or until well browned.
8) Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.