Hungarian Pogacsa Mini Cheese Rolls
- A savoury bun full of flavour.
- Serve with soup, salad or as a snack.
- Makes around 24-28 bite-sized buns.
400g Sprouted Wheat Grain Flour, the sprouting process reduces the gluten content and adds nutrition.
250g Organic Ghee
1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 egg yolks.
- 300ml sour cream.
- 200g of Medium Mature Cheddar or similar, we used a Hungarian Cheese called ‘Trapista’.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 °c Fan/180 °c/Gas Mark 4. Prepare 2 baking sheets with baking parchment/grease-proof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the salt and the honey with the flour.
- Then add the yeast and ghee to it and mix it well.
- In a separate bowl grate your chosen cheese.
- Then add one egg yolk and the sour cream to the flour mix and a good handful of the grated cheese.
- Mix it well with your hands and bring together into a dough ball.
- Then cover the bowl and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
- When you are ready to bake take the dough from the fridge and roll it out to a thickness of 3-4 cm.
- Using a small glass or deep cutter [4cm/1½ inch diameter] cut out circles from the dough. Place the circles straight onto the prepared baking sheets
- Glaze the tops with the second egg yolk and sprinkle the left over cheese on top.
- Bake the rolls until the cheese has a nice colour on top. This will be around 30-40 depending on your oven. If you are not sure if they are baked break one open to check the dough inside is completely cooked.
- The buns are perfect to enjoy straight from the oven. Allow the buns to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.
- The buns can be stored in this way for up to a week.