Vegan and Gluten-Free Millionaire’s Shortbread
- We did it, we’ve mastered the perfect guilt-free and delicious Millionaire’s Shortbread recipe!
- Vegan, gluten-free and cane sugar-free.
- A fantastic nutritious, indulgent snack or dessert.
0.5cup ground almonds (70g)
1cup gluten-free oats (90g)
0.5cup millet flakes (60g)
100ml coconut oil
3tbsp maple syrup
1cup dates (200g)
0.3cup cashew nuts (45g)
1tbsp coconut sugar
1 dark chocolate bar
pinch of salt
- Start with soaking your cashews – place them in a bowl, cover with water and leave to soak overnight or cover with hot water and soak for 45minutes.
- Place dates in a bowl, cover with hot water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Place the porridge oats and millet flakes in the blender and blend until you reach a fine flour mixture. Add in 100ml melted coconut oil, maple syrup, ground almonds, 1/4tsp salt and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the flake and almond mixture out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, make your caramel. Drain your dates, drain and rinse your cashews, place them in a food processor or high-speed blender. Add-in 1tbsp coconut sugar, a little splash of water, a pinch of salt and blend until you get thick caramel consistency.
- Spread your caramel layer out evenly on the baked base. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of water and gently heat on a low setting. Melt the chocolate bar in the bowl. Use a whisk to keep the mixture moving. Spread on the caramel layer evenly and place in the fridge for at least 50 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, cut into even slices and enjoy!