Sesame and Kalonji Flatbreads
- Sesame & Kalonji Gluten-Free Flatbreads – shown here with Aubergine Dip
110g brown rice flour
55g tapioca flour
Half a tsp of xanthan gum
1 tsp nigella seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Half a teaspoon of yeast
1 tsp honey (to activate the yeast)
1 small egg
1) In a jug, mix the yeast with the warm water. Then stir in the sugar or honey until disssolved. Allow the yeast to bubble a little for around 10-15mins.
2) Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3) Pour the yeast mixture and the egg into the flour and mix until the dough comes together. It should be soft and tacky but not sticky.
4) Leave in a covered bowl at room temperature for around 2-3 hours or until increased size.
5) Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C for fan oven/ 410-420° F/ Gas Mark 9. Put a baking stone or baking sheet in to heat.
6) Divide the dough into 4 – 6 equal pieces. Form into rough balls, then roll each dough ball out in one direction on lightly floured surface (or roll into 15cm/6 inch circles) and bake immediately.
7) Bake in the oven until each pitta puffs up into a pillow shape and is slightly browned on top -ours took just over 10 minutes, but didn’t rise much because we forgot the egg!
8) Remove carefully and eat or allow to cool if you prefer.
9) Store in an airtight container once baked.