Wholemeal Garlic & Herb Pitta
Simple, homemade wholemeal pitta breads to hold your favourite fillings.
These pittas can be baked in the oven or dry-friedin a heavy pan. We chose to bake them, and they puffed up nicely. This mix makes 4 medium-sized pitta – you can double the ingredients in order to make around 8 if you have more mouths to feed!
250g strong wholemeal flour
1 tbsp herbes de Provence
1 tsp of honey
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp rapeseed oil
140-145ml of warm water
A large pinch of salt
2.5g of dried yeast
1) Combine the flour, garlic powder, salt and the dried herbs in a bowl.
2) In a jug, mix the yeast with the warm water. Then stir in the honey. We left the yeast to bubble a little for around 10-15mins, but you don’t have to.
3) Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and mix until the dough comes together, adding the oil.
4) Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until smooth. Leave in a covered bowl at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5) Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C for fan oven/ 410-420° F/ Gas Mark 9. Put a baking stone or baking sheet in to heat.
6) Divide the dough into 4 – 6 equal pieces. Roll into rough balls and leave to relax a little for around 10-15 minutes.
7) Roll each dough ball out in one direction on lightly floured surface and bake immediately.
8) Bake in the oven until each pitta puffs up into a pillow shape and is slightly browned on top -ours took just over 10 minutes.
9) Remove carefully and eat or allow to cool if you prefer.
10) Store in an airtight container once baked.