Instant mash transformed into flavoursome fish cakes.
Quick and healthy fish cakes
These fish cakes are baked not fried and have no added oil or fat whatsoever! The mixture is quite wet, rather like Duchess potatoes and it needs to be in order to provide enough moisture to stop the fresh ingredients from drying out. Indeed you could even pipe the mixture to make more evenly shaped fish cakes or mini ones to use as canapes.
This recipe utilises our Sussex Wholefoods Potato Flakes, which means you don't have to waste any time boiling potatoes. Great if you need to make an impromtu supper or lunch! We tried them warm from the oven as well as cold and we preferred them warm. They can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container the night before and reheated before serving the following day.
1) In a heat-proof bowl shake some of the potato flakes into the bowl and pour over boiling water. Add more flakes and water until the required consistency and amount has been made. Leave to cool a little.
2) Put the peppers, spring onions, garlic, coconut powder and pink salmon into a mixing bowl. Squash the salmon with a fork until it forms a rough paste. Add the Thai Stir-Fry Spice, Cayenne Pepper, Fish Sauce and Sushi Rice Seasoning. Mix thoroughly.
3) Add the mashed potato and mix well. Then add the beaten eggs. Mix well.You should end up with a soft, but not runny mix.
4) Oil a baking tray/sheet and spoon or pipe the mixture into rough circles. We made our fish cakes around 3-4 inch (8-10cm) diameter.
5) Place in the middle of a hot oven (220°c) for 10-15 minutes or until the tops of the fish cakes are golden brown.
6) Serve with a leafy salad and a sweet chilli dipping sauce of your choice - we used Linghams Chilli Sauce.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.