This recipe will satisfy 8 to 10 people. It takes about 45 minutes to prepare and cook.
Prior to baking: ensure that coconut oil is warm enough to melt so that it can be whisked. Grease and line a 9 inch cake tin with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 190°C (200°C if you are not a using fan assisted oven).
1) Start by taking a large saucepan and soaking your dates in the milk. Gently heat the milk/dates and cover. Stir from time to time to prevent the bottom from catching. Leave to simmer on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
2) While the dates and milk warm, chop and heat the pecans in a dry pan (they only need a few minutes to toast).
3) Next, take a big mixing bowl and cream together the coconut sugar and the coconut oil until smooth. Sprinkle in the cinnamon, pecan nuts and baking soda. Sift in the flour and continue to mix.
4) Remove the milk and date mixture from the hob and pour into the big mixing bowl,stirring as you do so. The mixture will be quite sloppy. Pour into the prepared tin and bake at 190°C for 25 minutes (30 minutes for non-fan assisted ovens).
NB: If your mixture is dry, it will be because too much liquid evaporated in the milk pan. Simply top up with more milk (a drop at a time), until you have a thick but pourable mixture.
NB: After baking for 25 minutes, test the cake in case it requires longer to cook. The top should be browned and springy, whilst the centre of the cake should be quite wet and sticky...Perfect!
5) To make the sauce: Melt the coconut oil in a small sauce pan on a medium heat. Add the sugar, rice syrup and vanilla and stir continuously. Don't leave the sauce unattended for too long whilst it heats, else the bottom will catch.
NB: The sauce is really easy to make. Start on it once the cake is baked and cooling on the rack. Pour half the sauce onto the sponge and allow it to soak in. The rest of the sauce can be used to decorate.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.