Prior to baking: remove pastry from the refrigerator and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Preheat your oven to gas mark 6/180°C (200°C for non fan ovens). Grease and line a large flan tin.
1) Line a flan dish with the shortcrust pastry and prick the base all over with a fork. Blind bake with baking beads for ten minutes.
2) Heat the milk on the stove with the xylitol and vanilla pod. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer and leave for 5 minutes.
3) Remove the vanilla pod, add the semolina and cocoa powder. simmer for 10 minutes, ensuring the mixture does not stick to the pan. If the mixture becomes too thick add more milk.
4) Allow the mixture to cool slightly and then add the egg yolks.
5) In the meantime whisk the egg whites with one tablespoon of Xylitol until they are stiff and glossy.
6) Fold the egg white mixture into the semolina. Spread this into the part baked pastry case and bake for 30 mins.
7) To make the raspberry coulis, mix the raspberry powder with the syrup. Add water gradually, mixing thoroughly, until the mixture is of a thick but runny consistency. You can also use coconut sugar instead of the agave.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.