Temporary changes to delivery are currently in place due to high volume of orders
Rhubarb & Apple Crumble - Recipe
Rhubarb and Apple Crumble (Wheat Free) with a drizzle or vanilla Soya Custard Created by Caroline Fernandes.
A classic comforting pudding
This scrumptious oven-baked dessert has been made without using refined sugar, artificial sweeteners and no fatty margarine/butter. It turns out that you can make a tasty sweet crumble without these unhealthy ingredients.
This yummy crumble was made using fresh apples and rhubarb and Healthy Supplies cupboard ingredients:
2) Roughly chop 5 sticks of rhubarb and 2 small apples (about 400g fresh fruit) into rectangular blocks (about 1 inch).
3) Put in a sauce pan. Add 2tsp of xylitol, a dessert spoon of barley malt and 2tbsp boiling water (covering bottom). Bring to a gentle simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 10 minutes maximum (the fruit should be softened but not falling apart).
4) Stir in the allspice and vanilla then pour into an oven proof dish (Leaving enough room for the crumble).
5) To make the topping, mix together the coconut butter, desiccated coconut, ground almonds and rice flour (You can use plain wheat flour if you prefer).
6) Sprinkle crumble mix over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. The topping should turn golden in colour and the filling should be soft and bubbling.
Allow to cool for a moment then serve with a generous dollop of custard. (Here we have used soya custard) - Delicious!
About The Ingredients
Healthier ingredients should not have to compromise the flavour or consistency of a Rhubarb and Apple crumble. The ingredients we have used are not only healthier alternatives to most typical recipes but they have leant their flavour to the final result.
Xylitol is a completely natural substance found in plants and trees. This particular xylitol comes from birch tree sap. It is granular and sweet like sugar but has a much lower calorie and GI count. Xylitol makes an excellent sugar alternative. More Info >
Pure coconut oil is far better for the body then margarine and butter. Our oils are pure and cold pressed, and contain beneficial health properties. Coconut oil can be spread, fried and baked with.
This coconut oil contains special fats called multi-chained fatty acids which are healthier for us than most saturated fats. These are good fats. Studies have shown some of these fats do not raise cholesterol levels, in fact they might help to lower cholesterol and help to regulate our metabolic rate. More Info >
Almonds are a decent source of protein and mono-unsaturated fats (such as omega 6 = good fats).
Our selection of almond powders are made simply by skinning and grinding down whole almonds. No other ingredients have been added. Ground almonds taste naturally sweet and are soft and moist. They add a distinct almond flavour to the crumble topping. More Info >
White rice flour was used in this particular crumble mix. White rice flour has its own natural and subtle sweet flavour when baked.
Rice is naturally gluten free. This recipe is free from wheat and dairy too. You could use other flours instead of rice, including plain wheat, buckwheat, barley, spelt, millet and even oatmeal. More Info >
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.