Red Velvet Cake is a dense, chocolate cake made with beetroot which gives it a fantastic red colour and natural sweetness. The added beetroot merely lends its vivid redness and does not influence the chocolatey taste.
This cake has been made in a heart shaped tin (for that little romantic touch) and layered with cool and creamy Crème Fraiche.
Our Red Velvet cake is not too heavy and is the perfect dessert to share with your loved ones!
Pre heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3. Grease and line a deep, round 15cm/6in tin.
1) Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition (if the mixture looks curdled add a spoonful of the flour).
2) Mix the yoghurt with the beetroot powder - it will look very purple/red at this stage (the mixture will fade once cooked). Beat the coloured yoghurt into the cake mixture.
3) Fold in the remaining flour, baking powder and cacao powder, followed by the milk until well
combined. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour. Test whether the mixture has
cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake and seeing whether it comes out clean.
4) Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool for five minutes, and then place onto a cooling rack
and set aside to cool completely.
5) Once cool, decorate with Crème Fraiche or a topping of your choice and serve!
NB. We divided our cake mixture into two small heart shape silicon moulds and a medium size cake
tin. Feel free to divide into different sized cake tins and adjust cooking times accordingly. With our
smaller cakes the cooking time was only around 30 minutes.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. We offer free UK delivery on all orders over £39, and international delivery is also available for our overseas customers.