Yuletide Chocolate Log
- Moist chocolate dessert cake.
- Chestnut Puree filling and icing.
- No cane sugar, no artificial flavours.
- Dairy Free, Gluten Free.
- Serves 8-10.
75g Chestnut Flour
50g Ground Almonds
100g Cacao Powder, 50g for the cake, 50g for the ‘icing’ + extra for dusting.
2 jars of Unsweetened Chestnut Puree
50g Brown Rice Flour
100g Coconut Oil, melted.
200g Coconut Sugar + 70g for the filling & topping
3 Tbsp Sweet Freedom.
2tsp Vanilla Extract, 1tsp for the cake mix, 1tsp for the chestnut ‘icing’.
1tsp Xanthan Gum
1tsp Baking Powder
½tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
200ml Rice Milk.
1 jar of Meridian Organic Morello Cherry Jam.
7 Tbsp Maple Syrup
½ tin /around 100ml of Coconut Milk.
- 3 Medium Eggs (or this Vegan Egg Replacer).
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base of a flat, rimmed baking sheet. The internal dimensions of our baking tray measured roughly W 22cm x L 31.5cm x D 1.5cm (8½inch x 12½ inch x ¾ inch).
- First make the chocolate cake. Sift the flours and Cacao powder into a food processor or large mixing bowl.
- Add the Bicarbonate of Soda, Baking Powder and Xanthan Gum. Mix gently for half a minute.
- Then add 200g of the coconut sugar, sweet freedom syrup, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, eggs and coconut butter.
- Whizz up/ beat up until all the ingredients are combined, then add the rice milk and whizz up until you have a smooth dropping consistency.
- Spoon the cake mixture evenly onto the baking sheet and smooth over.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes or until the surface springs back lightly to the touch.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tray before tipping out onto a cooling rack with the baking parchment still underneath. Allow to cool some more.
- Cover the top with a fresh sheet of baking parchment. We rolled the sponge mixture when it was still slightly warm. Leave to one side in its rolled up state.
- In a clean mixing bowl spoon out both jars of chestnut puree. Sift in the 50g Cacao and add the Coconut Sugar. Combine with a spoon.
- Then add the Coconut Milk, 1tsp Vanilla Extract and the Maple Syrup.
- Mix with a hand blender if you have one until you have a smooth butter-icing style consistency. Set to one side.
- Gently unroll the sponge cake. Remove the top sheet of baking parchment. Gluten free sponges are more liable to cracking so you will need to support it with a rolling pin and other kitchen implements!
- Spread the whole jar of Morello Cherry Jam over the sponge.
- Then add blobs of the chocolate chestnut puree mixture on top. Spread evenly over the entire surface with a knife or palette knife.
- Using the baking parchment still underneath the sponge to help roll the sponge into a log.
- Transfer to your presentation plate/platter/board. Cover the the top and length of the chocolate log with more chocolate chestnut puree. Create a pattern with the back of a spoon.
- Dust gently with cacao powder and use the back of a spoon to add detail into the ‘icing’ to make it look more like the bark of a log.
- Serve. Best enjoyed on the day you make it! This can be stored in the fridge and eaten within 2 days.