Vegetarian Burritos with Mexican Hot Sauce
- Wholemeal Tortillas with a Healthy Rice Filling
- Low fat, high fibre meal.
- Brown rice and beans for fibre and protein.
- Can easily satisfy 2-4 hungry adults!
- Adapt recipe easily by adding mince or extra veg as you wish.
350g Short Grain Brown Rice
240g of Black Turtle Beans
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
2-3 Tbsp Dried Coriander Leaves
1-2 tsp of Garlic Paste
1 tsp of Chilli Powder
Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
260g Spelt Flour, plus a little extra for rolling.
1 ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 small red or white onion, diced.
- Roughly half a cup tepid water (for the dough), add more if necessary.
- Rinse the rice and pour into a saucepan. Add boiling water to cover the rice and an extra inch and half water above the surface of the rice. Brown rice tends to require longer cooking and requires slightly more water than white rice.
- While the rice is cooking, you can make the Tortilla dough. Put the Spelt flour in a mixing bowl and add the salt and Bicarbonate of Soda. Gradually add the tepid water and combine until a dough starts to form. Knead for 5 minutes, cover and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and dust a large board and rolling pin with a little spelt flour. Knead the dough once again for 5 minutes. Then divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each quarter into a ball and roll out into rough circles. Preheat the grill (medium hot) for 5-10 minutes. Place each tortilla onto the grill rack and grill each tortilla on both sides for up to five minutes or until the dough starts to puff up. Remove each tortilla onto a large plate. You can keep them warm in a very low oven if you wish.
- Take a large frying pan and sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion has softened and become translucent. Then add the Black Turtle Beans, Cumin, Chilli Powder, Coriander Leaves and Chipotle Sauce. Combine the ingredients over the heat so that the beans warm through.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and add the cooked rice. Add the Lime Juice and extra olive oil if you wish and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the rice mix into the centre of a Tortilla and fold the sides over each other. You can also fold up each end if you wish (especially if you are transporting them for a picnic, etc.) or leave one end open, as shown in the photos.
- Serve immediately with homemade Mexican Chilli Sauce!