Vegetable & Macaroni Cheese
- Cheese & Veggie Pasta Bake
- Gluten-free pasta dish.
- Healthy fresh vegetables.
- Lower fat recipe.
- Serves 2.
20g Doves Farm Gluten-Free White Bread Mix
1tsp of Yellow Mustard Powder
1tsp Mixed Herbs
Large pinch of Black Pepper Powder
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 300ml of Milk
- 20g Butter or Margarine
- 125g 50% less fat Mature Cheddar (vegetarian version if you wish), grated
- 20-25g of Pecorino Cheese, grated
- 100g Broccoli Florets
- 1 Clove of Garlic, diced finely
- 5 Medium White Mushrooms, sliced
- Cook the macaroni in a saucepan of boiling water until soft for around 10-12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Microwave the broccoli florets for around 7-10 minutes on high or until tender, but still bright green.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan along with the garlic and sliced mushrooms. Fry gently until the mushrooms start to colour. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Gradually add the flour to form a roux, allowing it to cook for a few minutes.
- Gradually stir in the milk to form a thick, smooth white sauce.
- Pre-heat a hot grill and have a bake-proof dish ready.
- Remove the sauce from the hob. Add the mustard, mixed herbs and black pepper. Then gradually add most of the grated Cheddar. Keep some Cheddar aside to sprinkle on the top of the finished bake.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, broccoli and mushrooms and transfer into your baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the Cheddar and all of the Pecorino over the surface of the mixture.
- Grill for around 10 minutes or until the cheese on top melts and starts to brown.
- Serve as is, with a fresh salad or garlic bread. Double the quantities to make for 4 people.