Vegan Fish And Chips
- Perfectly golden, crispy vegan non-fish and chips.
- Our fish-free alternative to a great British Classic.
- Made with banana blossom and nori!
- Easy to make and delicious.
1 tin of banana blossom
1 heaped tbsp nori flakes
3/4 + 1/2 cup flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
generous amount of oil
- 100ml water.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut potatoes into medium-size chunks, gently cover in oil and sprinkle with salt. Place potatoes on a baking tray layered with baking paper, and bake for around 45 minutes.
- Make a batter – in a medium-size bowl, mix 125ml cold water with 1tbsp lemon juice, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2tsp baking powder and 1tsp turmeric. Place in the fridge and cool for 1 hour – this will help to achieve the desired texture.
- To make the coating, mix 1/2 cup flour, 1tbsp nori flakes, 1tsp dill and 1/2tsp salt in a wide and shallow bowl.
- Drain the banana blossom with a sieve.
- Cover all of the banana blossom thoroughly in the coating.
- Heat the oil up in a big frying pan.
- Dip the banana blossom into the batter, put it carefully into the oil and cook for around 5 minutes until the batter is golden. Drain excess oil on kitchen towel.
- Serve with chips and green peas.