Sun Dried Tomato Falafel
- Baked, not fried.
- Makes around 20 falafel.
- Lightly spiced.
- Naturally contain no gluten.
150g cooked Chickpeas
175g un-cooked Red Split Lentils
25g Sun Dried Tomatoes
1 Tbsp of Garam Masala
2 tsp Thyme
2 tsp Oregano
x2 Medjool Dates, stones removed
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
1-3 Tbsp Chickpea or Yellow Corn Flour
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil, plus extra for oiling the cooking pan(s)
- 2 large cloves of fresh garlic.
- 1 large red onion.
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in cold water for around ½ an hour to an hour.
- Cook the red lentils until soft. Drain off any excess liquid through a fine sieve balanced over the saucepan.
- Oil a macaroon tin or shallow bun tin. Pre-heat the oven to 180 °c Fan/ 200°c/ Gas Mark 6.
- Peel and roughly chop the red onion into medium-fine pieces. Set to half to one side.
- Peel the garlic cloves and add to a food processor along with half of the chopped onion.
- Rip the sun-dried tomatoes in half and add these to the food processor too.
- Then add the dates, chickpeas, lentils, herbs, spices and olive oil. Blend and pulse until you have a semi-smooth paste.
- Sprinkle over the baking power and whizz up for 10-20 seconds. Then add in the last of the chopped onion and blend for a further 10-20 seconds to achieve a mix a bit of texture.
- Stir through the yellow corn flour to make the mix a little less wet.
- Using wet hands and a dessert spoon to create rough balls of mixture. Quickly transfer these into the macaroon tin/bun tin and press into a discs. Work quickly and evenly as this mixture will not hold its shape for long.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes at full temperature and then turn the oven down to 160°c Fan/ 180°c / Gas Mark 4 and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until nicely browned and a crispy crust has formed on top.
- Serve with a salad and a houmous dip. Try our Truffle Houmous Recipe which compliments the flavours beautifully!