Spice ‘n’ Cheesy Mini Frittata
- A filling vegetarian brunch.
- Perfect for a picnic or packed lunch.
- Makes 12 mini frittata.
50-60g Red Quinoa
260-280g cooked Chickpeas
2 Tbsp of Peri Peri Spice Mix
2 Tbsp Rapeseed oil + extra for greasing the tin.
- 80-100g vegetarian Cheddar, grated
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 100g of chopped yellow pepper
- 120-130g of frozen peas
- 6 medium eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c Fan/ Brush a deep bun tin with some oil. Set to one side.
- A a small saucepan add the red quinoa and enough boiling water to cover the quinoa plus around a centimetre extra above that.
- Drain the chickpeas and either roughly mash with the back of a spoon or blend in a food processor. Set to one side.
- Bring the quinoa to a vigorous simmer, then turn down and gently simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and just tender. Remove and transfer into a bowl to cool a little.
- Add the shallots to a non-stick frying pan. Gently fry for a few minutes before adding the celery. Sweat these off for a few further minutes, then add the yellow peppers and the frozen peas. Continue to fry gently until the peppers are just softened and the peas just cooked.
- Stir in the Peri Peri seasoning. Remove from the heat and transfer into a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool for around 10 minutes.
- Add the grated cheddar, the quinoa and then the eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into each of the the bun moulds. These should reach ¾ of the way up each well.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Or, tip out onto a large plate covered with kitchen paper, and allow to cool completely before eating. Serve with a leafy green salad and your favourite sauces and dips.
- Once cool, store any leftover frittata in the fridge. Eat within 24 hours. The Frittata can be reheated in the microwave.