Scoffins (Rice Bran Muffins)
- Scoffins are a cross between a scone and a muffin!
- A great on-the-go breakfast bite or snack.
- A tasty golden crust with a soft sweet centre.
- Wheat free using rice flour, rice bran and ground almonds.
70g Rice Bran. High in fibre and naturally sweet.
280g White Rice Flour
80g Xylitol. 100% natural - Just like sugar but with far less calories.
55g Un-refined Organic Coconut Butter (oil). Contains multi-chained fatty acids. Much better for you than typical saturated fat found in margarine or butter.
3 Tbsp Organic Ground Almonds. Soft, sweet, moist and high in protein.
2 Tbsp Date Syrup. A dark sweet syrup made entirely from Dates. A great alternative to Black Treacle.
1 tsp Bicarbonate Soda. To help the mixture rise.
- 240ml milk
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- ¼ punnet fresh Blueberries. (Blueberries within the mixture burst under the heat of the oven, soaking into the dough)
- First heat the oven to 180°C. Prepare the muffin tins by greasing lightly with coconut butter which will prevent the mixture from sticking to the tin.
- In a small bowl, beat together the Bicarbonate of Soda and Date Syrup together to make a thick slightly fluffy mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the coconut butter and Xylitol together. Gradually add a little of the egg mixture followed by the rice bran and the ground almonds. Beat well and add the rest of the egg.
- Next add the date syrup/soda mix well and lastly beat in the rice flour.
- Finally add the fresh blueberries, apples or any fruit to taste. Spoon the batter directly into the muffin tin or into muffin cases.
- Place in the centre of the oven for around 25 minutes or until the tops bounce back to the touch slightly.