This cornbread is really good for dipping into things!
225g yellow corn flour
140g plain white flour
1 tbsp Xylitol
2 tsp baking powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
1) Pre-heat the oven to 230°C (Fan ovens 210°C). Take a 23cm cake tin and grease with butter.
2) In a frying pan add butter to a low heat. As the butter melts, finely chop the onions and gently fry them for 5 minutes.
3) In a mixing bowl, beat together the buttermilk, eggs and add the onions (including all the melted butter). In a second bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and then pour the wet ingredients in, slowly stirring to form a batter.
4) Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin (or even a frying pan) and even it out. Bake for 25 minutes, until the top looks golden. Alternatively, push a skewer into the middle and if it comes out clean, you know that the bread is ready!
5) Once the bread has cooled, you can cut it into fingers. It should remain fresh for 2-3 days and is suitable for freezing. Serves up to 10 people.