Rhubarb & Apple Crumble
This is a lovely rhubarb & apple crumble that’s wheat-free and best served with a drizzle of vanilla custard.
90g coconut oil
65g ground almonds
65g desiccated coconut
Half a tsp of vanilla extract
A quarter tsp of ground allspice
1 dessert spoon of agave syrup
5 sticks rhubarb
2 small apples
1) Heat oven to 180°C.
2) Roughly chop 5 sticks of rhubarb and 2 small apples (about 400g fresh fruit) into rectangular blocks (about 1 inch).
3) Put in a sauce pan. Add 2tsp of xylitol, a dessert spoon of barley malt and 2tbsp boiling water (covering bottom). Bring to a gentle simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 10 minutes maximum (the fruit should be softened but not falling apart).
4) Stir in the allspice and vanilla then pour into an oven proof dish (Leaving enough room for the crumble).
5) To make the topping, mix together the coconut butter, desiccated coconut, ground almonds and rice flour (You can use plain wheat flour if you prefer).
6) Sprinkle crumble mix over the fruit and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. The topping should turn golden in colour and the filling should be soft and bubbling.
7) Allow to cool for a moment then serve with a generous dollop of custard.