Gluten-Free Purple Berry Compote
These easy-to-make individual hot puddings are made using ‘purple berries’ (blueberries, blackberries and blackcurrant) and buttery short crust pastry.
It’s gluten-free, uses xylitol instead of naughty caster sugar, and is a deliciously comforting dessert!
200g plain white flour
25g freeze-dried purple berry blend
1 tbsp Xylitol
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
1 cinnamon stick
A dash of vanilla paste
200ml + 3 tbsp cold water
1) Prior to making the compote, have your pastry ready – click here for Doves Farm’s shortcrust pastry recipe.
2) Bring water to the boil and dissolve the xylitol.
3) Add the freeze dried fruit and the rest of the ingredients and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
4) In the meantime roll out your shortcrust pastry, its very soft and so take great care when rolling, do not be too rough with it. Cut out the lids with a 2 cm thickness and set aside.
5) Fill ramekins half full with the now juicy berries and place the lid on top. Do not overfill as the juices from the fruit will overspill when cooking. Pierce the lid and baste with egg yolk and sprinkle with xylitol.
6) Bake on gas mark 4/180°C for twenty minutes, checking to ensure the juices have not spilled over.
7) Leave to cool slightly before serving as the fruit will be piping hot. Serve with custard or crème fraiche and garnish.