- A Classic Pudding from America.
- Made without Condensed Milk!
- Serves 6-8 people.
- Calorie and fat-reduced recipe.
- Can be made entirely dairy-free.
250g of Emmer Four and 1½Tbsp for the filling.
70g Coconut Butter (or 110g if making dairy free).
40g of Ghee.
80g-90g Coconut Sugar.
1 tsp Vanilla Paste.
¾ tin/ 230g of Pumpkin Puree.
1½tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend.
230g of Apple & Banana Puree.
3 Tbsp Maple Syrup.
Pinch of salt.
- 60-90ml of cold tap water.
- 3 Large Eggs.
- Pre-heat the oven to 210°c/Fan 200°c/Gas Mark 6.
- Grease a 9-inch diameter deep tart/flan tin (we used a loose bottom tin).
- Make the pastry base first. Add the 250g of Emmer Flour to a large mixing bowl or food processor.
- Mix in the Coconut Butter, Ghee and the pinch of salt. Whizz up in the blender or rub into breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the water and bring together into a dough. This dough will be a little crumbly, so persevere and add drips of water at time to make into a dough ball.
- Due to the crumbly nature of the pastry, we used cling film in between the dough and the rolling pin, so as not to need extra flour for dusting that would dry out the dough and cause further crumbling.
- Roll out enough dough to cover the base and the sides of the flan/tart tin. If the sides crumble slightly, roll out the remnants and cut strips to the depth of the tin and press into place. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork.
- Cover the base and side of the pastry with foil and pour in baking beads/dried beans or place a heavy-based ovenproof dish into the base. Blind bake the base for around 20 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Turn the oven down to 200°c/Fan 190°c/Gas Mark 5 and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the base shows no signs of sogginess. This is dependent on the thickness you rolled the pastry.
- Remove from the oven and set to one side.
- Add the Pumpkin Puree, Apple & Banana Puree, Coconut Sugar, Maple Syrup, Vanilla Paste, Pumpkin Pie Spice, 1½Tbsp of Emmer Flour and Eggs into a food processor and combine until you have a semi-thick batter.
- Pour into the pie base (you don’t need to wait until the base in cool). You will probably have some mixture and pastry left over. We made a one-person tart with the left overs!
- Bake in the middle of the oven with the oven still at the lower temperature – 200°c/Fan 190°c/Gas Mark 5 for 50-55 minutes.
- Serve warm with custard, cream, soya cream, etc. This Pumpkin Pie is also extremely tasty when eaten cold with a dollop of Creme Fraiche and a drizzle of Maple Syrup, as shown in the close-up at the top of this page!