Pumpkin Barley Risotto
- Delicious vegan alternative to risotto made with rice.
- Easy to make one-pot dish.
- Warming autumnal dinner idea.
- Makes 4 servings.
1 cup pearl barley
1 tin pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp yeast flakes
2 Tbsp sunflower oil
1/2 Tsp chilli flakes
1/4 Tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tsp smoked paprika
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
- 1 onion, chopped.
- 1 garlic clove, chopped.
- 1/2 litre water, freshly boiled.
- Fresh herbs to garnish.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a deep frying pot over a medium flame. Add 1 finely chopped onion and 1 finely chopped garlic clove. Fry for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the pearl barley and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add freshly boiled water and stir in the stock cube. Simmer on a low flame, stirring often until the barley has absorbed all the liquid.
- If the barley is still undercooked, add a splash of water and cook until soft.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, yeast flakes, chilli flakes, smoked paprika and ground nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with some homemade vegan parmesan and enjoy!