- Paleo Pizza Base with Primal Topping (see below for explanation).
- Non-greasy pizza with a thin, firm base.
- Can be made Paleo, Vegan or Vegetarian.
- Makes enough for an 8-9 inch Pizza.
75g Ground Almonds
90g Tapioca Flour
1 Tbsp Yeast
1 Tsp Honey
2 Tbsp Pine Nuts
6-8 Kalamata Olives - remove the stones first!
1 ½ tsp (+ 1-2 tsp for the tomato sauce) of Apple Cider Vinegar
4-5 Tbsp Olive Oil
4-5 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
1-2 tsp of Italian Mixed Herbs
1-2 Tbsp of Coconut Sugar
2 pinches of Salt
- ¼ Cup or 100ml of warm water.
- Egg white from 1 small egg.
- Buffalo Mozzarella, Goats Cheese or your favourite cheese substitute. (For a cheese substitute, try using cashew cheese)
- In a cup or small bowl prepare the yeast mixture first by mixing the water with the yeast and honey. Whisk thoroughly.
- Cover with cling film and sit the vessel in a warm but not hot environment. Allow the mixture to become foaming and frothy. This should happen after around 10-15 minutes.
- In another small container/bowl whisk together a tablespoon of Olive Oil, 1 ½ tsp of the Apple Cider Vinegar and the egg white.
- Next put the almond flour and tapioca flour into another mixing bowl. Add all the wet ingredients and then a pinch of salt. Bring the dough together into a ball with your hands.
- Cover the bowl with a tea-towel or cling film and allow the dough to sit for 75-90 minutes. The dough will not rise too much, but you should see a small change in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 240°C /220°C Fan/ Gas Mark 7.
- Place some parchment paper onto a rimless baking sheet or pizza stone if you have one. Put the dough ball onto the parchment and push into a circle – use the tips of your fingers. This dough will be too crumbly to roll out.
- Once spread out evenly use around a tablespoon of the Olive Oil and rub across the surface of the dough.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the base is golden brown. You should see a few bubbles across the surface.
- Whilst the base is baking prepare the tomato sauce and toppings. To make the tomato sauce for the base put the tomato puree, 3-4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, 2-3 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, the Coconut Sugar, a pinch of salt and the Italian Mixed Herbs into a small bowl and combine. Then go on to prepare the rest of your toppings.
- Remove the par-baked pizza base from the oven and using the back of a dessert spoon spread the tomato sauce evenly across the pizza base. Add your toppings and place in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until the toppings are lightly browned on top and the edges of the base have become a richer brown colour.
- Garnish with cracked black pepper, olive halves and fresh basil leaves, then serve.