Paleo Pad Thai
- These noodles are made from courgette and carrot!
- Noodles made from strips of courgette and carrot.
- Vegetable spaghetti with Thai sauce.
- Add prawns, chicken or tofu.
- No spiraliser required!
- Stir-fry in 7-15 minutes.
- Peanut-free and naturally gluten-free.
- Serves 2-3 generously.
100-120ml Coconut Milk
1 Tbsp Hulled Sesame Seeds
1 Tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
50g-55g Unblanched Almonds
2 Tbsp of Cashew Nut Butter
1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp Tamari Sauce
2 Tbsp Mirin
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 large courgette, around 150g to 200g.
- 1 medium carrot, peeled.
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- large bunch of fresh coriander.
- 2 Tbsp worth of fresh ginger.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled.
- First make your vegetable pasta. Using a Mandolin or as we did a hand-held Julienne peeler/slicer cut strips along the length of the courgette and the carrot to produce a nice bowl of noodles. Set to one side.
- Now make the cook-in sauce for the noodles. It is best to use a liquidiser or a small bowl on your food processor, but alternatively you can mix everything by hand. Our sauce was very smooth as we used a high power liquidiser.
- Place the garlic, some chunks of peeled ginger, the onion, the coconut milk, Tamari, Mirin, Cashew Nut Butter, Chilli Flakes and Toasted Sesame Oil into your blender and blend until you have a smooth, quite liquid sauce.
- Heat up a non-stick pan or wok to a low-medium heat and add the courgette and carrot noodles. Allow them to sizzle for a half a minute before turning and lightly stir-frying without any oil. The natural water content of the vegetables should allow you to fry without oil.
- Now pour in half of the sauce and allow to simmer, stirring intermittently. Raise the temperature on the hob slightly to compensate for the addition of the sauce.
- As the noodles begin to colour and soften slightly add the remainder of the sauce. Allow to gently bubble. The noodles should be ready to serve in around 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your noodles and whether you cook on a gas or an electric hob.
- Whilst the noodles simmer toast the 1 Tbsp of Hulled Sesame Seeds and the 1 Tbsp of Black Sesame Seeds in a dry, non-stick frying pan. Set to one side once the white sesame seeds have gained a little colour.
- Remove the vegetable noodles from the heat. Gently stir in the almonds and transfer into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle the toasted sesame seed mix over the top and generously dress with coriander leaves. Serve as is or alongside grilled/barbecued, meat, fish or prawns.