Mince Pie Tray Bake
This recipe uses Einkorn flour, which is an ancient wheat flour with a lower gluten content than modern flour. Coconut butter is used in the pastry, reducing the amount of regular butter used – it’s an excellent alternative to dairy-based cooking fat. It also has a low melting temperature making it easy to use with a food processor.
525g of einkorn flour
150g of Coconut Butter.
1 teaspoonful of mixed spice
1 capful of vanilla extract
20g of coconut sugar
50g of nibbed almonds
1 jar of mincemeat
400g Sukrin Melis Natural Sweetener
400g of ground almonds
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 tsp of almond extract.
75g of Butter – You can make the crumble with 100% coconut butter, but we preferred to use a small amount of regular butter in the mix alongside the coconut butter, as it does make the pastry more tasty! But if you are a purist, please feel free to omit this ingredient and just use 225g of coconut butter.
1) Preheat an oven to 200°C (non-fan), 180°C (fan) or gas mark 5.
2) Make the pastry: measure the flour in a bowl. Add the mixed spice and the vanilla extract. Work in the coconut butter and butter thoroughly with your fingers into rough breadcrumbs.
3) Add a little water to bring the mixture into a workable dough.
4) Line a baking tin (30cm x 20cm) with parchment paper.
5) Separate the dough into thirds. Keep one-third aside and roll/ or press the other two-thirds into a sheet to fit the baking tin.
6) If rolling the dough, transfer the sheet into the base of the baking tin.. Prick the pastry base with a fork.
7) Blind bake for around 15 minutes, then remove the baking tin. The pastry will be partially cooked.
8) Make the marzipan. Mix the almonds, sukrin melis, lemon juice, coconut nectar, almond extract and around a tablespoon of cold water.
9) Roll out the marzipan with a rolling pin and spread evenly onto the pastry.
10) Spread the mincemeat filling evenly on top of the marzipan.
11) Take the remaining third of the dough and add the coconut sugar and almonds. Mix thoroughly until the dough is of a crumbly consistency.
12) Top the tray bake with the crumble-dough.
13) Bake for 35 minutes.
14) Remove from the oven and dust with a little Sukrin Melis.