Seitan Barbecue Kebabs
- Vegetarian kebabs with no soya.
- Made from just 11 cupboard ingredients.
- Makes around 5 filling kebabs.
- Make in less than an hour.
- No marinating required.
- Perfect with a fresh salad.
130g Vital Wheat Gluten
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2-3 large pinches of Cracked Black Pepper
½ of 1 Vegetable Stock cube dissolved in around 140ml of hot water.
2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
½ a bottle of BBQ Sauce
3-4 Tbsp of Olive Oil, enough to coat the front and back of the Seitan.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°c Fan/ 180°c/ Gas Mark 4. Grease a flat baking tray. Set to one side.
- Leave five 20cm long bamboo skewers in water to soak. This is to prevent them burning too badly whilst grilling.
- Dissolve half a vegetable stock cube in recently boiled water, then stir in the peanut butter and the soy sauce.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Then using a large fork gradually add the stock-peanut-butter liquid and stir this until you have mostly combined the ingredients into a loose dough.
- Using your hands knead the dough until all the vital wheat gluten has combined. Work quickly and do not over-work the dough.
- Spread the dough roughly across the greased baking tray. Coat with olive oil on both sides. Then using a sharp knife (use a plastic knife if using a non-stick tray) score the seitan into kebab-sized pieces.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-35 minutes until crispy and brown on the outside, but with a little give when you press on them.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool just enough for you to handle them Break the seitan into pieces and thread onto the skewers.
- Liberally brush each kebab with the barbecue sauce on both sides.
- Place under the grill for 5-10 minutes on both sides or until the sauce achieves a charred look on the tops of the seitan.
- Serve straight away with extra BBQ sauce alongside a quinoa, cous cous or pasta salad.