Vegan Scones with Nuts & Maple Caramel
- Delicious, dairy-free scones with cane sugar-free caramel.
- Perfect sweet breakfast or afternoon treat.
- This recipe makes 8 scones.
1/5cup broken walnuts
1/5 cup almonds
1 + 1/4 cup coconut sugar
250ml oat 'cream'
1/4cup maple syrup
2tsp egg replacer
1.5 heaped teaspon baking powder
2tsp vanilla extract
a generous pinch of salt
- 100g vegan margarine.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Combine 2 tsp of egg replacer with water and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup coconut sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together 180ml cream, egg replacer, and 1tsp of vanilla extract.
- Mix margarine with flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Add wet ingredients and using a wooden spoon, combine until fully incorporated and mostly smooth. Be careful not to over mix. The dough might not come together into one big ball, but into separate lumps, which is just fine.
- Turn dough out onto your work surface and using your hands, press into a 7-inch circle, cut into 8 equal triangles (like a pizza).
- Place on a baking sheet, put in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Chop almonds and walnuts into small pieces and toast for around 5 minutes.
- Make your maple glaze. Place 1 cup coconut sugar, leftover oat cream, maple syrup and 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in the little saucepan and whisk until smooth. Cook on the low heat until coconut sugar dissolves and the caramel thickens.
- Pour your glaze onto the scones and sprinkle with nuts. Leave to set and enjoy!