Lemon Poppy Seed Paleo Pancakes
Totally grain-free pancakes – these are instead made with ground almonds, coconut and seeds. They’re highly nutritious: very low in carbs, full of omega oils and sweetened with honey. These are fully compatible with a Paleo Diet.
1 tbsp ground almonds
1 tbsp Lucuma Powder
20g of Fine Desiccated Coconut
200ml Coconut Milk
20g Sunflower Seeds
1-2 tbsp Honey
Half tsp Vanilla Extract
Quarter teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 pinch Salt (optional)
For the topping: 2 heaped tbsp of Freeze-Dried Blackberries
For the topping: 1-2 tbsp of Maple Syrup (or to taste)
3 tbsp water
1) Put the coconut milk, ground almonds, lucuma, desiccated coconut, sunflower seeds, honey, vanilla, bicarbonate of soda and (optionally) salt into a blender and whizz for 30-60 seconds.
2) Put into large batter jug.
3) Whisk in the eggs until the consistency of a typical pancake batter is achieved.
4) Add the poppy seeds.
5) For best results, leave to stand in the fridge for an hour.
6) Heat up a non-stick frying pan and grease it with coconut oil.
7) Add a thick layer of batter to the pan (around a tenth of the batter).
8) Because the pancakes are thick, allow around 4 minutes per side.
9) Remember that the pancakes are brittle as they do not contain flour – so use a plate to turn the pancake over, rather than flipping it, and before doing each subsequent pancake, re-grease the pan with coconut oil.
10) To make the compote, simply soak the blackberries in water for 10 minutes and add maple syrup to taste.