Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes
You’d never think these cakes were gluten-free and contain no refined sugar! This mix makes around 12 cupcakes. The inclusion of a nice blob of honey enhances that pleasant contrast between sweet cake crumbs and tart lemon rind. You can of course adapt the recipe by using an orange instead.
They don’t rise quite as much as you’d expect a non-gluten mix to rise – but you could always add more mix to each cake case to raise the finished level. This will obviously result in fewer cakes, but a bigger mouthful for each person!
75g coconut oil
75g self-raising flour
80g Xylitol + 5 tbsp for the drizzle
1 tbsp runny honey
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tsp of milk or lemon juice
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
1) Beat together the coconut oil, honey and Xylitol until light and fluffy.
2) Beat in the eggs and lemon zest.
3) Beat in the flour and milk/lemon juice.
4) Spoon the mixture into paper cake cases standing on a baking tray.
5) Bake in a pre heated oven for 10/12 minutes.
6) Mix the lemon juice and Xylitol to form a runny mix.
7) Using a teaspoon, drizzle a generous 1-2 teaspoons of the mix, using the back of the spoon to spread over the top surface.
8) Leave to dry. Sprinkle with a little Xylitol before serving and a few slivers of lemon zest to garnish.