Green Asparagus Pancakes with Vegan Cheese
- Quick Vegan lunch/supper dish.
- Mild, dairy-free creamy sauce.
- Includes a tasty vegan Parmesan-style topping!
- Serves 5-6 people.
140g Wholemeal Plain Flour
450ml Almond Milk
2 Tbsp Rapeseed oil
35g Cashew Nuts
115g Almond Flakes, 15g for the cheese topping; 100g for the sauce.
⅛ tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
2 Tbsp Yeast Flakes
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Salt, ¼ tsp for the cheese topping; pinch or 2 for the sauce.
2-3 Pinch Chilli Powder, 1 pinch for the cheese topping; 1-2 pinches for the sauce.
1-2 Pinch Nutmeg Powder
Black Pepper to taste
2 ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup of Fresh Spinach
- 10 Fresh Asparagus Spears
- First make the pancake batter: Add the spinach and almond milk to a blender until smooth.
- Then add the flour, oatmeal, 1 Tbsp of Rapeseed Oil, Pinch of salt, and Bicarbonate of Soda. Blend again for up to 1 minute. Transfer the mix into a large batter jug and set to one side.
- Make the Vegan Parmesan topping: In the blender/liquidiser (washed after the batter mixing, of course!) add the flaked almonds, cashew nuts, yeast flakes, garlic powder and pinch of chilli powder. Whizz up until you have a medium to coarse breadcrumb-type texture. Transfer into an airtight container.
- Now make the Almond Sauce: In a clean blender/liquidiser blend together 100g of flaked almonds, of the almond milk, lemon juice, 1 Tbsp of Rapeseed Oil, salt, pepper, and the nutmeg. Blend until smooth.
- Trim the base of the asparagus spears if necessary. Wash and place in lightly salted water. Bring to a simmer for around 10 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat and rinse under cold water.
- Whilst the asparagus is simmering make the pancakes: In a medium-sized, non-stick frying pan a wipe the surface with some of the rapeseed oil. Heat the pan and add batter to cover the entire surface. Fry the pancakes on both sides until just cooked and golden.
- Transfer onto a plate putting kitchen paper/parchment between each pancake.
- If plating up each persons serving for them, spread a layer of the almond sauce onto each pancake and place 2-3 asparagus spears in the centre. Then roll. Spoon extra sauce on top and sprinkle with the vegan ‘Parmesan’ on top.
- Transfer extra sauce and topping into pretty serving dishes so that everyone can help themselves!
- Or you could skip Step 8 and set out all elements separately for your fellow lunch/supper guests to build the dish as they like.