Farmhouse Fruit Cake Fingers
- A fruity cake for a tea time treat!
- We have used almonds, vine fruit and apricots, but you can use your favourite fruit and nuts to create your perfect cake.
- We used a 6in square tin to make our fruit cake fingers, but if you would like a larger circular cake we recommend a 7″ Circular tin.
- Pre heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3. Grease and line the cake tin.
- 1) Beat the butter, and xylitol together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition (if the mixture looks curdled add a spoonful of the flour). In a separate bowl add orange water, orange juice, orange peel, lemon peel and lemon juice and set aside.
- 2) Fold in flour, ground almonds, almond essence and baking powder followed by the fruit & nuts. Combine and finally fold in the orange and lemon mixture
- 3) Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, cook for 30 mins, and then adjust the temperature to gas mark 2 and cook for a further 1 hour and 45 mins until golden and risen. Test whether the mixture has cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake and seeing whether it comes out clean
- 4) Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool for five minutes, and then place onto a cooling rack and set aside to cool completely.
- 5) Once cool, cut into slices and sprinkle xylitol or coconut palm sugar, serve immediately!
- Alternatively this cake should keep for a week if kept in an air tight tin.