Coffee, Date & Nut Bread
- Spiced date & nut bread with a wonderful intense coffee flavour & aroma.
- Delicious rich cake with a sweet frosting and a lovely roasted nut crunch.
- Free from dairy & gluten.
0.75 cup walnuts
0.75 cup almonds
2 cups chopped dates
0.5 cup oat drink
2.5 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 cup self raising gluten-free flour
1 tsp cinnamon
0.25 tsp nutmeg
0.5cup + 3tbsp cup coconut oil
0.5 cup coconut sugar
1cup icing sugar
2tsp egg replacer
1tbsp + 1tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup + 2 tbsp. hot water.
- 60ml cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Chop almonds into small pieces, mix with walnuts and toast for around 5 minutes.
- Mix 2tsp egg replacer with 60ml cold water and set aside.
- Mix 2tsp instant coffee with 0.5 cup hot water, 0.5 cup oat drink, a pinch of salt and 1tbsp vanilla extract.
- Mix flour with spices, coconut sugar and baking powder.
- Melt the 1/2 cup coconut oil and add it to the coffee, vanilla & salt mix. Mix well.
- Using a hand mixer, mix flour and wet ingredients together.
- Add dates and 1/2 cup of toasted nuts. Mix well using a spoon. Pour the cake mix into the baking dish.
- Place in the oven and bake for an hour or until the toothpick inserted near the centre comes out dry.
- To make the glaze, combine 2tbsp of hot water with 1/2 tsp instant coffee, 1cup icing sugar, 3tbsp of melted coconut oil and 1tsp vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. If it’s too thick, add 1/2 tsp of hot water at a time and whisk until you reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Let cool, cut and enjoy!