Amaranth Pudding with Almond and Raisin
This rich and satisfying dessert is vegan-friendly and gluten-free. The cinnamon and vanilla spices makes it taste lovely and sweet. It would make a great gluten-free porridge for when you fancy a hot pudding on a cold day. It can be made with either amaranth or quinoa, both of which are packed with protein!
250g (dry weight) amaranth grain
450ml apple juice
50g flaked almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp fine lemon peel
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1) Cook 1 part amaranth to 2 parts water, until soft.
2) Combine all the ingredients with the amaranth in a pan, and cover.
3) Heat first on a boil and then reduce to medium. Simmer gently for about fifteen minutes.
4) Pour mixture into one large serving bowl or individual bowls.
5) Chill for 1 hour and serve cold. Serve either warm with soya custard or chilled with plain soya yoghurt.
This recipe serves 4.