The secret ingredient in this wonderful houmous is Peanut Butter...
A magical mixture from this domestic goddess!
The use of peanut butter here is simply genius. We have made the Classic Houmous using Tahini (ground sesame seed paste), but in our opinion this recipe most closely mimics the flavour of commercially made/shop bought houmous.
Of course in this recipe there are no added nasties in the ingredients mix and better still you can control the amount of salt and oil you include. We used Meridian's Natural Smooth Peanut Butter with No Added Salt or oil. It must be noted that some supermarket peanut butter will contain other oils apart from the natural peanut oil already present!
We have halved the ingredients as Nigella's recipe was for a party of ten. We felt a smaller batch would provide a more manageable, everyday amount for, say, a couple or a family of four.
1) Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pour into a blender or food processor. Then add the garlic clove, a little of the oil, peanut butter, lemon juice, salt and cumin. Whizz up into a rough paste.
2) Add the yoghurt and whizz again. If the mixture is still too thick and/or dry add extra yoghurt and oil in small amounts until you have a more free-flowing puree.
3) Taste the mixture and season further with salt or lemon juice as required.
4) Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the chopped peanuts following this with a sprinkle of the lively coloured Paprika to garnish.
5) Serve with Pitta bread, Chapatis, other flatbreads or crispbreads.
This recipe was adapted from Nigella Lawson's Recipe in her book "Nigella Kitchen".
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.