This chocolate lovers dessert will make enough for at least 8 people. Each slice is richly satisfying and is a cross between gateaux and a pud. It keeps well in the fridge for for a good week (if you can resist it for that long) so should provide you with second helpings!
For the topping/ 'icing'
- 125g reduced fat cream cheese/or 50% less fat creme fraiche
- 40g Clear Honey or Xylitol
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa, plus a little extra to dust the top.
- 1 tsp Vanilla Paste
How to Make the Mud Pie Cake
1) Pre-heat oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C/Gas Mark 3.
2) Put the dates, water and bicarbonate of soda in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until the dates are soft. When cooled/luke warm, puree the dates to a smooth paste, either with the back of a fork in or a food processor. N.B. Some inner fibres from the dates may not grind down, so remove these by hand.
3) Put the date puree, yoghurt, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, ground almonds, rice flour, salt, vanilla paste and egg yolks into a large bowl and mix to a smooth batter.
4) In separate bowl, beat the egg whites, gradually adding the sugar until the mix is stiff and glossy. Fold into the batter mix until just combined.
5) Pour the mixture into an oiled, circular cake tin - approximately 23cm/9 inch diameter. Bake in the middle of the oven for 50-60mins or until there is a slight spring in the middle of the cake. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning out.
For the topping or 'icing'1) Sift the cocoa powder into the same bowl as the cream cheese/creme fraiche.
2) Add the honey or Xylitol, and Vanilla Paste and mix thoroughly.
3) Using a palette knife/butter knife or the back of a dessert spoon, spread the topping evenly over the top and around the side of the cake. Create whatever pattern you wish e.g.: concentric circles, soft peaks, etc.
4) Gently sift a little cocoa over the top of the cake then serve. Optional: You may also like to garnish the middle of the cake with loosely piled chocolate shards or quills.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. We offer free UK delivery on all orders over £39, and international delivery is also available for our overseas customers.