Make your own yummy Jaffa Cake biscuits with your favourite chocolate. We have used a natural vegetarian setting agent called VegeSet to make the orange jelly filling. It is a simple powder that you sprinkle into your liquid and bring to the boil. It sets really quickly too!
This recipe does require a little patience and a delicate hand, but it's well worth the effort. You can even change the jelly filling and choose a different flavour jam such as raspberry, apricot or strawberry.
This recipe makes around 20 standard sized Jaffa Cakes - i.e. similar in size to the shop bought ones.
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200°c/Fan 190°c/Gas Mark 6.
2) Using a macaroon tin or shallow bun tin, line each base with a circle of greased baking parchment. Ideally it's best to have two macaroon tins or instead you will have to bake the cakes in two batches. Alternatively use a flat baking tray and you will need a cookie cutter.
3) Soften the Coconut Butter slightly in the microwave. Set aside. Then spread baking parchment paper into the base of a rimmed baking tray. Set this aside.
4) In a measuring jug empty the contents of the jar of marmalade. Gradually add cold water, keep stirring until you have reached the 1 pint mark. Then add the drops of Orange Extract and teaspoon of VegeSet Powder and stir.
5) Pour this mixture into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring briskly all the time. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture carefully onto the baking tray. Set aside to cool. The mixture will start to solidify quite quickly, so you don't need to put it in the fridge.
6) Mix together the butter and sugar using a food processor or by hand in a mixing bowl.
7) Then add the eggs and vanilla paste and gradually blend in the flour. Mix well. Add some milk/milk substitute so that the cake mix develops a dropping consistency. Gluten-free flour will usually require a little extra moisture and its best to add this via milk rather than more butter or oil.
8) Spoon a small amount of cake mixture into each macaroon/bun tin and place in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes. Gently lay each cake onto a cooling rack.
9) Once you have baked all the cake mix into little cakes (or cut out the cakes using a 2¼ inch/ 58mm circular cutter) take a smaller circular cookie cutter (we used a 1⅞ inch/ 48mm) and cut out circles from the orange jelly mixture. Using a palette knife or ordinary kitchen knife (not chopping knife), transfer a circle carefully on top of each cake.
10) Take the Ombar chocolate bars and break them into rough pieces into a bain marie. Stir gently until they have all melted. You will notice that the consistency of the melted chocoalte is not that runny. This is where adding some raw cacao butter will help loosen the mix nicely! Stir in just enough to make the chocolate nice and runny.
11) Place each cake onto fresh baking parchment/grease-proof paper and gently spoon chocolate over each Jaffa cake. You may need to pick up each one to allow you to more evenly spread the chocolate over the top - use the back of a dessert spoon. As the chocolate topping starts to solidify you can come back to each cake and drizzle lines over the top as a finishing touch.
12) If you wish, you can place the cakes in the fridge to help the chocolate topping solidify more quickly. Store in an airtight container. These are best eaten within 2 or 3 days.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. We offer free UK delivery on all orders over £39, and international delivery is also available for our overseas customers.