Pre heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3. Grease and line the cake tin.
1) Beat the butter, and xylitol together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition (if the mixture looks curdled add a spoonful of the flour). In a separate bowl add orange water, orange juice, orange peel, lemon peel and lemon juice and set aside.
2) Fold in flour, ground almonds, almond essence and baking powder followed by the fruit & nuts. Combine and finally fold in the orange and lemon mixture
3) Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, cook for 30 mins, and then adjust the temperature to gas mark 2 and cook for a further 1 hour and 45 mins until golden and risen. Test whether the mixture has cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake and seeing whether it comes out clean
4) Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool for five minutes, and then place onto a cooling rack
and set aside to cool completely.
5) Once cool, cut into slices and sprinkle xylitol or coconut palm sugar, serve immediately!
Alternatively this cake should keep for a week if kept in an air tight tin.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. We offer free UK delivery on all orders over £39, and international delivery is also available for our overseas customers.