There's more than enough to satisfy chocolate lovers in this ice-cream based dessert, as it uses both dark chocolate ice-cream as well as generous crumbs (i.e. nice large pieces!) of our Mississippi Mud Pie Cake crumbled through the duet of ice-cream.
We didn't use an ice-cream machine, but instead we retrieved the half-frozen ice cream from the freezer several times and used a fork to hand churn the mixture. This process serves to break down the ice-crystals into smaller pieces, thus making the mixture smoother and more like traditionally churned ice-cream.
1) Find two suitable plastic, freezer-proof containers with lids.
2) For the Coconut Ice-Cream: Pour the coconut milk into one of the containers and stir thoroughly to ensure the liquid and solids are mixed.
3) Add the vanilla extract and Xylitol/honey. Mix thoroughly. Put the lid on and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
4) Remove from the container and beat with either a fork or electric whisk until the mix forms a slush.
5) Put the container back in the freezer and repeat the forking/whisking process at least one more time. The ice-cream is ready to be used as and when.
6) For the Chocolate Ice-Cream: Melt the cacao butter in a bain marie (i.e. a heat-proof bowl inside a saucepan of boiling water) over a gentle heat. Do not let any water get into the bowl and do not overheat! Thoroughly mix in the cacao powder and sugar. Let this cool slightly. (For a cheat's version, use 2x100g bars of Green & Black's 70% Cocoa Chocolate, gently melted).
7) Pour the soya milk into the second container and stir in the Xylitol, vanilla extract and the melted chocolate. Put the lid on and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
8) Remove from the container and beat with either a fork or electric whisk until the mix forms a slush.
9) Put the container back in the freezer and repeat the forking/whisking process at least one more time. The ice-cream is ready to be used as and when.
Build the Sundae!
Take both flavour ice-creams out of the freezer in advance. The Coconut Ice-Cream takes longer to melt, so you could bring this out slightly ahead of the Chocolate. Crumble some Mississippi Mud Pie Cake or chocolate brownie into the base of your individual dessert dishes or fluted ice-cream sundae glasses if you have them. Using a spoon or ice-cream scoop, gradually build up layers of both ice-creams and more cake crumbs, until you think you portion is big enough!
Tip to bear in mind: these hand churned, home-made ice-creams will not form balls in the way shop bought ice-cream does. This is because they don't have lots of emulsifiers, cream or gums added to them. However you can form loose balls with a scoop and the back of a dessert spoon, rather like you would on a smaller scale for those fancy quinelles mousses or sorbets you see on TV programmes such as Masterchef! If you do want a soft-scoop consistency, we recommend adding a little cashew nut butter or almond butter to the mix to loosen it up a little.
You can also experiment with different flavours! For example, you can use fruit powders or even pistachios to create a multi-flavoured sundae.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.