Buckwheat & Brown Rice Pancakes with Honey & Pistachios - Recipe
Sweet and nutty Buckwheat & Brown Rice Pancakes with Crushed Pistachios and Mountain Clear Honey.
Naturally nutty in flavour - Great with either a sweet or savoury fillings!
Buckwheat is a dainty heart-shaped pseudocereal which is packed with protein and has a raw, nutty flavour and a greyish brown outer surface. Despite the name, buckwheat bears no relation to wheat and is naturally gluten free. Combining buckwheat flour with the sweet, nutty flavour of brown rice flour, makes an excellent base for a gluten free pancake recipe.
1) Sift the flours into a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and create a hollow in the centre of the flour.
2) Crack eggs into a separate bowl and loosely whisk. Pour the egg into the centre of the flour and begin whisking in the flour.
3) Next pour in milk a bit at a time. Whisk until you have a smooth, slightly thick batter.
4) Heat a small frying pan on a medium heat. If the heat is low enough there is no need to add oil or melt butter to aid cooking (this doesn't affect the flavour of the pancake and makes for a healthier result). Test your mixture if you want by dropping a spoonful into the pan. If you want thinner pancakes, dilute the remaining mixture with 25ml-50ml water.
5) Using a ladle, add one spoonful to the pan, allowing it to spread out. After only 2 minutes the underside should be golden in colour. Lift the pancake with metal spatula or pallet knife and flip it over. Cook for a further minute to cook the top and then serve warm. Our choice of topping was crushed pistachio kernels with a drizzling of clear honey. Savoury fillings can also be added to this recipe.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. We offer free UK delivery on all orders over £39, and international delivery is also available for our overseas customers.