The classic Spanish Tortilla uses such simple ingredients: eggs, onion, potatoes. It is perhaps this simplicity of flavours that make it such a satisfying and comforting dish both through the Summer and Winter months.
We have made a brave move and added freshly cooked Cannelini beans and dried mixed peppers to the basic ingredients. This immediately bumps up the protein content as well as modifying the texture and look of the finished dish. We hope you enjoy these colourful, savoury bites!
1) Use a non-stick or heavy based frying pan approximately 20cm/7-8inch diameter. Make
sure you have a plate that fits nicely over the pan as you will need to turn the tortilla half-way through cooking and once it's finished. Make sure the pan and the plate combined aren't too heavy for you to lift and twist!
2) Soak the red and green bell peppers in cold water. You will need aroung 30g of reconstituted peppers.
3) Peel and cut the onion in half, then thinly slice each half and separate the layers as you place them into the frying pan. Add a little of the oil.
4) Thinly slice the potatoes into rounds onto some kitchen roll as this helps to absorb excess water. Once all the potatoes are sliced pat them dry on top with more kitchen roll then begin adding straight into your frying pan. (If you leave the potatoes for too long, say longer than 20-30 minutes the they will begin to turn black.)
5) Pop the pan onto the hob and turn to a low-medium heat. Add some more olive oil into
the frying pan. Turn the onion and potatoes to coat them thoroughly. Add the salt and pepper.
6) Cook gently for 20 minutes, turning halfway or until the potatoes are tender and only golden brown in places.
7) Meanwhile, break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk gently with a fork. They only need a light mix. Drain the peppers and squeeze out the excess water. Add the peppers and the cooked Cannelini beans into the eggs. Stir well.
8) Transfer the cooked onions and potatoes into the bowl of beaten eggs. Mix well and then pour straight back into the pan (add a little more oil if you wish), turning the heat down to its lowest setting.
9) Cook slowly, uncovered for 20-25 minutes turning half-way through using the plate mentioned earlier. Using a non-stick palette knife or spatula, run this around the rim of the tortilla a few times as it cooks. This will create a nice round edge.
10) You can serve this hot or cold. For a buffet or afternoon tea, slice the tortilla into cubes and serve with slices of fresh tomato.
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.