Serve hot with custard (soya custard pictured) or enjoy a slice for afternoon tea. This recipe also makes a lovely Swiss roll, cold pud!
Apricot Jam Roly Poly - Recipe
A quick hot pudding with a twist of apricot
This is a simple sponge recipe which utilises the natural rich caramel flavour of coconut sugar to give the sponge its colour and taste.
Unbelievably there is no vanilla extract in this sponge and the only other flavour in the dessert is to be found in the apricot jam. The jam is made from Italian Apricots, sweetened only with apple juice.
This recipe makes enough for 6-8 slices. We trimmed the ends in order for the roll to fit on the plate for our photo!
For the Filling
- 1 jar of Apricot Jam
- Coconut Palm sugar for dusting
How to Make the Jam Roly Poly
1) Pre-heat oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 5-6.
2) Grease and line a rimmed baking tray with baking parchment/paper. Grease the paper on both sides as this will aid rolling and removal of the cake later.
3) Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and whisk (an electric whisk is preferable!) until thick and creamy. The colour will change from deep caramel to a slightly lighter caramel colour. The whisk should make a trail in the mixture when it is ready.
4) Sieve the flour at least once. Using a large metal spoon fold the flour gently into the egg and sugar mix. Then add the hot water, folding as you do this.
5) Pour onto the baking tray and spread evenly using the back of the spoon. To even out the mix shake the tin slightly from side to side/back and forth.
6) Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cake surface bounces back when you gently press it with your fingertips.
7) Allow the cake to cool a little in the tin, so that you are able to handle it. Use a plastic spatula to loosen around all the edges.
8) Put a tea towel widthways (portrait orientation) onto a clean work surface. Now lift off the cake using the baking parchment as a support. Place widthways (portrait orientation) onto the tea towel. The cake should still be warm for best results when rolling.
9) If serving immediately spread the whole of the jar of apricot jam over the surface using the back of a clean spoon. Then using the parchment paper for support, roll the cake away from you, turning the mixture underneath itself - not too tightly otherwise it will crack! Once the whole cake is rolled up sprinkle coconut sugar on the outside, then cut it into generous slices using a bread knife and serve with warm custard.
10) Alternatively, you can leave the cake unfilled to cool until you are ready to serve. Just wrap up the sponge roll (keep it in its parchment paper) with the tea towel and store in the fridge. The cake can then be unwound gently, filled and re-rolled before reheating and serving.
TIP! You can trim a small amount off each end of your Roly Poly to give it a more professional look - and then nibble these off-cuts!
Healthy Supplies: The UK's Top Online Health Food Store
At Healthy Supplies, we stock the widest range of organic and eco-friendly food, drink and lifestyle products online. Our selection includes free-from, vegan and gluten-free foods and you can make massive savings with our economy sized bulk packs. We’re committed to enhancing the overall health and wellbeing of our customers. That’s why, on top of health foods, we offer sports nutrition, eco-friendly home and ethical beauty products.
Healthy Supplies is an online health food & health products store based out of Sussex, England. International delivery is also available for our overseas customers.