Technique is the same for either pastry/filling recipe you choose.
1. Mix together the flour and coconut butter to make bread crumbs. You can use your fingers or a blender. Sprinkle in ground almonds (if doing the gluten free recipe), milk and eggs and mix together to make a soft dough.
2. Flour a flat surface and knead the dough. Cover and put into the fridge whilst you prepare the filling.
3. Mix together all the fruits in a large bowl. If you prefer a finer filling, pop the mixture in a blender and whizz the mixture for 30 seconds. Next add the spices and lemon juice. Now your filling is ready. If you have a real sweet tooth, sprinkle in a teaspoon of xylitol into your filling and mix well.
4.Pre-heat the oven to 190 °C and grease a muffin or tart tray (it is OK to use coconut butter). Take your pastry dough and roll out thinly. Cut out large round circles (about 7cm) and gently push into the tin.
5. Spoon filling into the middle of each pastry tin then place a lid of pastry on top. (You could cover with a smaller circle or use shape cutters - We have used stars, snowflakes and leaves).
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar or xylitol (it's granular like sugar). Enjoy hot or cold - Tastes great with custard!
This recipe makes at least 12 mince pies.