- Pure extract of malted barley.
- Also known as Barley Malt Syrup, or simply "Malt".
- A good general-purpose malt.
- Contains a complex mix of carbohydrates, trace elements and vitamins.
- A natural sweetener used in cooking, baking and beverages.
- Makes a comforting bed-time malt drink.
- Free from dairy, yeast and additives.
This Barley Malt Extract is 100% pure with nothing else added. Malted barley extract is made by sprouting and heating the barley grain. Once the grains begin to sprout, they generate enzymes which convert the barley's starch into sugar. This sugar is extracted from the barley by soaking the grain in water. The produce of this process is barley malt extract, which is dark in colour but has a gentle sweetness and syrupy consistency.
Barley malt extract is the most common malt. It has a sweet taste, with lots of familiar malt flavours. It has several uses:
- Make a malt drink by mixing a teaspoonful of this barley malt extract with hot milk.
- Add barley malt to baking recipes to help bread to rise. It also makes the bread tasty.
- Give children a teaspoonful of malt daily as a nutritional supplement.
|| ||Three Seed Soda Bread Rolls - Recipe
Sweet Syrups need not be used just for biscuits or desserts. Barley Malt Extract adds just the right sort of sweetness to compliment the stout and oats in this bread recipe.
100% Barley Malt Extract.
Contains gluten and may contain traces of sesame and nut.
Please note that this Malt is not the same as Brewer's Malt.
|Typical Values||Per 100g|
|_of which sugars||73g|
|_of which saturates||trace|